Are You Smart Enough To Say No?
Got too much to do because you are smart enough to do it all — eventually? Got too much to do and not enough of you to do it all. Well, it is your own damn fault. You are the dumbest smart person that you know best.
How does this make you feel? Better? Worse? Defiant? Indifferent?
Realization is the firstep to recovery.
Now breathe and think through why you are in this absurd situation.
1. The twin evil intentions of Best Intentions and Benefit of the Doubt.
2. The myth of multitasking. The cerebral brain processes thoughts & actions sequentially. At best, strengthened mental agility may allow for rapid fire task swapping. The truth remains, you can only really do one thing at a time.
3. Life’s many persistent distractions, disturbances and intrusions. Starting with that voice in your head along with cacophony of the phone ringing, an open door policy – coworkers bringing in their agenda, email & text alerts, cell phone ringing and that glaring pile of paper that you promised would be vanquished today (see Best Intentions).
Paths to a better today and improved tomorrow
1. Develop a deliberate sense of resiliency. Pause to let fears and frustration wash through your mind untouched by your imagination.
2. Utilized the metaphor of putting the big rocks in first (Google hits – 114,000,000). See: http://zenhabits.net/big-rocks-first-double-your-productivity-this-week/ These are the important things in your life that get trumped and stomped upon by the imposed urgencies of others.
2.1. The first big rock in your life is yourself. Being self-first is not being selfish. (yes, there are times for being selfless – but those are moments, not your lifestyle) At least one hour a day, every day of every week. Seven hours to exercise, reflect, think, meditate, read, and write your way to a more resilient future.
2.2. Other big rocks include activities create a better future – thorough planning – education – training – certifications.
3. Love & Laughter.
Take this moment and make a list of your big rocks.
Well, what are you waiting for?